Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy

Posted by

Jenn Waidelich, PT, DPT

Time to read

1 minutes

The pelvic floor is a group of muscles and tissues that form a sling from the pubic bone to the tailbone. Collectively it works to support the weight of the abdominal and pelvic organs and to help control bladder and bowel activity. For varying reasons, these muscles may be weak, over-stretched, uncoordinated, or spasm, leading to dysfunctional habits, pain, and urinary/fecal leakage. 

By the age of 4, 90% of children have gained control over their bowel and bladder and have very few accidents. For the remaining 10%, bowel and bladder dysfunction can present many challenges for families and can leave the child with feelings of embarrassment and anxiety. 

  • 20% of visits to the pediatrician are for incontinence issues
  • 15% of visits to the gastrointestinal doctor are for lower-bowel dysfunction
  • 3% of visits to the pediatrician are for constipation
  • 5-7 million children suffer from bedwetting
  • Over 5 years old and still wearing pull ups
  • Urinary leakage
  • Bedwetting
  • Waking up at night to urinate
  • Giggle incontinence
  • Frequent urination
  • Fecal leakage
  • Straining to complete bowel movements
  • Constipation/diarrhea
  • Painful bladder or bowel movements 
  • Potty training was/is very stressful

If you answered yes to any of these symptoms, pelvic floor therapy may offer solutions to help your child gain control of their bladder and bowels.

Schedule a free consult with our pelvic floor specialist to learn more.